SMEs has always been the strongest pillar of the Philippine Economy. According to the Department of Trade and Industry, the number of SMEs in the country has increased 66% from 492,510 in 1995 to 816,759 in 2011. They comprise 99.6% of all registered businesses in the country and provide jobs to 3.9 million people.
The latest statistics from Global Web Index shows that the Philippines outperformed the internet population growth of its Asian counterparts, growing 531% from 2009 to 2014. The nation currently has the 14th largest internet population, with 44 million of its citizens having an online presence. These statistics were also shared in the recent PLDT SME Nation press conference.
Now, how does PLDT SME Nation come into the picture? With its goal of making SMEs more reachable to Filipinos, PLDT SME Nation has constantly partnered with its clients to make the communication between businesses and the Philippine market more engaging and informative. With this, PLDT SME Nation will open Tech Island 2.0.
Tech Island 2.0
Tech Island 2.0 will provide business strategies from the top leaders of different industries. With the theme “Transformational Leadership in the Digital Era” for its first day, speakers include:
- PLDT Executive Vice President and Head of Enterprise and International and Carrier Business Eric Alberto
- Rappler Chief Executive Officer Maria Ressa
- Golden ABC President and CEO Bernie Liu
- TV5 Sports and Digital Head Chot Reyes
- Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle
The second day will center on digital solutions and the identity creation on the internet. With the theme “Mastering the Digital Wave”, speakers include:
- Amihan Global Strategies Managing Director Winston Damarillo
- Foodpanda Philippines Chief Executive Officer Mauro Cochierri
- International Data Corporation Software and Services Director for ASEAN Roger Ling
- IdeaSpace Foundation President and Co-Founder Earl Valencia
Discovery sessions will also be held to educate SMEs on the current and future business landscape of the country. These will be delivered by top technology brands such as Microsoft, Samsung, and Cicso.
After full days of sessions and discussion, participants will have the chance to party with Ellen Adarna in a celebration on the beach, where everyone can savor the sea and the sand.
Tech Island 2.0 will be held on April 15 to 16, with the first day catering to key business owners and the second to the IT and development community. It will take place in the high-adventure environment of Ocean Adventure, Subic Bay.